The Beginning of Something Else

On June 1, 2007 I found out my husband and partner of almost two decades had been unfaithful to me since before our marriage, and had been having intercourse with prostitutes for 3 1/2 years. This is what happened next.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Another note to self: Life will look different from what you expect. Get used to it.

This article by Katia Hetter on CNN is a great reminder not to allow myself to be disempowered by any circumstance, along with some good next-steps for partners on the receiving end of betrayal.

My personal takeaways:
  • Focus on the present moment
  • Create something & take charge of my own joy
  • Create an empowering context
  • Look for my own truth
  • Don't take the role of victim (i.e. If I'm unhappy about something, what can I DO about it?)
Do, Do, Do!

In conversations with my mother, I notice how easily she is stopped when something doesn't look the way she thought it would.

"I can't [insert desired thing here] because [insert obstacle here.]"

Mom: I can't have a studio because I don't have the money.

Me: Well, why don't you share with another artist?


Mom: I don't want to share a studio with another artist with no money! What if they can't pay their share of the rent??


Me: Okay. Why don't you share with an artist who is wealthy enough to let you pay $150 a month and they pay the other $600?


Mom: [Long pause.] Well...


And the list of obstacles and reasons why she can't continues from there.

Rather than looking for the window when she finds the door locked, she either walks away or feels victimized. Why doesn't she know how to fight for her dreams? I don't know. Why does she not even think to look for another path to that destination? Maybe she was never learned that is an option.

I see this in Mom and I know I've learned to do the same.

But awareness is my spiritual plunger, so...

Next item of business: Create something!

No comments: