The Beginning of Something Else

On June 1, 2007 I found out my husband and partner of almost two decades had been unfaithful to me since before our marriage, and had been having intercourse with prostitutes for 3 1/2 years. This is what happened next.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Husband's Buddha Natue

I continue to gain strength and insight from my readings in Buddhist thought. I just read an article by the Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche (I am proof that you don't have to know what those words mean or how to pronounce them to get something out of what he writes) about the basics of what the Buddha taught.

He says that Buddha believed "the fundamental nature of mind is utterly pure and primordially in the state of buddhahood...Its essence is wisdom and compassion that is inconceivably profound and vast."

"However, this potential is covered over by certain temporary obscurations, in the same way that the sun may be temporarily concealed by clouds...we see only what is perceptible by means of our dualistic consciousness: a stream of sense perceptions, mental constructs, thoughts, and emotions that arise and dissolve ceaselessly. It is these appearances of relative phenomena that obscure the direct recognition of the open, brilliant and dynamic reality of genuine mind."

So I have decided to try to stay present to Husband's Buddha nature. In the face of my fears and in the face of both our perceptions, constructs, thoughts and emotions that obscure our essential beings, I can look at him and know that his true nature is open, brilliant and dynamic, utterly pure, wise and compassionate. All else, like his addict for example, is impermanent, and but a temporary symptom of each of us clinging to our identities, when in reality those are temporary as well. "...for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

And no, I have not gone off the deep end. I'm just trying to cope, and this resonates with me as a way to understand my experience, and is helping me be in the present moment with Husband instead of dwelling in sadness about the past or fear about the future.

No comments: