The Beginning of Something Else

On June 1, 2007 I found out my husband and partner of almost two decades had been unfaithful to me since before our marriage, and had been having intercourse with prostitutes for 3 1/2 years. This is what happened next.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Acceptance

I just read an important distinction regarding acceptance.

You can accept where you are in the present moment but that doesn't mean accepting fate or, in other words, a future that you don't want. So, in that context...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (the past); courage to change the things I can (the future) and the wisdom to know the difference.

(For reference, here's the Wikipedia entry for the Serenity Prayer.)

I'm struggling with acceptance right now. I don't like my new past. I want the past I thought I had before, except I want both Husband and I to experience it the way I thought it was, not the way he thought it was (which wasn't so great for him.) And that, of course, is impossible in any case.

Acceptance. I'm going to have to try for one day at a time.

1 comment:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

So glad you found my blog. I have been reading over yours and (of course) find myself saying "me too" to so much of the hurt and pain and confusion. It's like reading my own thoughts in the wake of discovering my husband's lies and deception.

It will get better -- it will hurt less -- you will find acceptance -- you will reach a new serenity and peace. You're working and changing and growing -- you're waking from the dream your life has been -- and it's painful, but you are building a better life, here in the real world, for yourself, for your son.