The Beginning of Something Else

On June 1, 2007 I found out my husband and partner of almost two decades had been unfaithful to me since before our marriage, and had been having intercourse with prostitutes for 3 1/2 years. This is what happened next.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Awake, bald and naked...not really so great at first

"I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hmm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?"

"You could say that."

"I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life."

"I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

-excepted from The Matrix

As I read this, it hits me that in addition to describing my experience finding out about Husband's secret life, it also probably describes my experience being born.

1 comment:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Oh, I love the Matrix as addiction metaphor. And I like your birth link. Finding out about addiction is like being born too: painfully experiencing and figuring out this new life, this new reality.