The Beginning of Something Else

On June 1, 2007 I found out my husband and partner of almost two decades had been unfaithful to me since before our marriage, and had been having intercourse with prostitutes for 3 1/2 years. This is what happened next.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

This communication business isn't easy

My reaction to Husband's middle circle behavior has made him concerned about telling me things. He said he questionst the value of telling me things that hurt me or cause me anxiety.

My thought is that this sounds like a "considerate" version of "she can't handle the truth" which has been his reason for not expressing things or talking about things since he was young.

I think I deserve the truth. And I'll have feelings and reactions. And I think I deserve for us to weather those feelings and reactions, and work things out together so that we can both learn to tell each other things that are uncomfortable and difficult to share, and to deal with reactions that are uncomfortable or difficult.

I definitely think we should present this to our couples therapist and see what she says. Until then, Husband said he plans to tell me everything, and then re-evaluate, based on our therapist's recommendation.

I know Husband has been uncomfortable with my reaction. So have I. And I'm afraid he's going to stop sharing because it's difficult. But that's one of the roots of our problem. It feels like a Catch-22 situation. Thank god for therapy.

No comments: